Try this cheap, healthier alternative to traditional Osso Buco dishes, slow cooked with loads of veg, and smashed potatoes…use up any left overs by mixing with cooked pasta and some cheese – yummy!
Cook: 3.5-4 hours
Ingredients: Roughly 500g piece of Osso Buco, 1 can of chopped tomatoes, 4 medium carrots, 1 large onion, handful of mushrooms, (such as white, chestnut, button), 2 large tomatoes, 4 celery sticks, 2 cloves of garlic, 1 heaped teaspoons of dried oregano, 1 heaped teaspoon of dried thyme, 2 bay leaves, 1 beef or vegetable stock cube made up with 250ml of water, a little oil for browning
For the potatoes: 500g of new potatoes, few springs of fresh rosemary, 2 tbsp. of olive oil, good mil of salt and pepper.
- Start by browning your meat in a pan with a little oil
- Once done, transfer to an oven proof lidded pan/deep dish
- Roughly chop all of your veggies including the garlic and add to the pan
- Top up with the stock and tinned tomatoes and sprinkle over your dried herbs and give a good mix
- Pop in a pre-heated oven at 130F and cook for 3.5 hours, checking half way through to see if it needs any added moisture, (if it does you can top up with a little extra stock)
- About an hour before your meat is ready, start on your potatoes
- Place the potatoes in a pan of salted boiling water and cook for 20mins
- After 20mins, drain well and give the potatoes a light mash with a potato masher to break them down a bit
- Transfer to an oven proof dish, mix together the olive oil and rosemary and pour over the potatoes and add a sprinkling of salt and pepper
- Cook alongside the Osso Buco for 20 – 30 minutes until they start to turn golden on top
- Dig in!!!
Remember all recipes are created for you not only to enjoy, but to also raise awareness of the struggles these countries face on a daily basis, so if you would like to make a donation to Save The Children who are working everyday to support children around the World, please visit my just giving page by clicking the link Just Giving for more information.