Dukkah is a great way to add texture and a little spice to salads, stews, eggs or anything you like and this recipes makes enough to fill up one old spice jar, so you will have a batch to keep you going.
Prep: 5 mins
For the Dukkah
Ingredients: Handful of whole almonds, 1 tbsp. sesame seeds, 1 tsp fennel seeds, 1 tsp. cumin seeds, 2 tsp. coriander seeds, good mil of salt and pepper
- Pre-heat oven to 180F
- Give all the ingredients a quick blitz in a food processor, or a good bash in a pestle and mortar
- Line a baking tray with baking parchment and place all your ingredients on top, spreading evenly over the parchment
- Bake in the oven for 8 – 10mins until golden brown
- Allow to cool and then place in an airtight container until ready to use
For the Courgette and Chickpea Salad
Cook: No cooking required but the courgette needs 30mins resting time.
Ingredients: 1 large courgette or two medium, small can of chickpeas drained, juice of half a lemon, 2 tbsp. olive oil, small bunch of parsley chopped, small pinch of chilli flakes, salt and pepper, 1 – 2 tbsp. of Dukkah.
- Spiralise or julienne the courgette, place in a bowl and add a good pinch of salt and then leave in the fridge for 30mins
- After 30mins drain any excess water off, of the courgettes
- Now construct your salad by mixing in the chickpeas, lemon, oil and parsley and pepper to taste
- Sprinkle over as much dukkah as you want and add a small pinch of dried chilli flakes
Save The Children have been working in Egypt to provide better healthcare, social and educational standards for children. By working with government Save The Children have put in place standards for those living in care and working closely with agriculture and cotton industries to better protect child workers and providing opportunities to learn, giving children a chance to live a life outside of poverty. To find out more please visit: https://www.savethechildren.org.uk/where-we-work/middle-east/egypt
And if you would like to make a donation via this blog, please visit my Just Giving Page, by clicking the link here Just Giving