I absolutely love dahl, it is one of my favourite comfort foods and I like to mix it up sometimes so please see recipe below for my latest version, using chickpeas, bay leaf and fennel seeds.
Serves: 4 with rice or Indian style bread
Cook: 1 hour
Ingredients: 1 can of drained chickpeas, 400ml of coconut milk, 2 small cans of cooked lentils, (I used green), 1 onion finely chopped, 2 cloves of garlic finely sliced, 1 thumb sized piece of ginger peeled and finely sliced, 1 tbsp of oil, 1 tbsp. of tomato puree, 1 tsp of cumin, 1 tsp of tumeric, 1 tsp of mustard seeds, 1 cardamon pod, 4 dried chillies crushed, 1 tsp of fennel seeds, 1 bay leaf, salt to taste.
- Start by frying your spices in the oil until they start to pop
- Add your onion, ginger and garlic and allow to soften for a few minutes
- Add your chickpeas and lentils to the pan and coat well in the mixture
- Add your coconut milk, bay leaf and cardamon pod, bring to the boil
- Allow to simmer for at least an hour, using a potato masher to break down the chickpeas, top up with a little water if it’s getting too sticky
- Season with salt to your liking and serve with rice or indian style bread
If you are looking for some further inspiration then, check out my other spicy dishes below…