Love meatballs but looking for a lighter, healthier gluten free option? Then try this delicious lemony almond meatball recipe, with easy peasy tomato sauce!
Makes: 18 meatballs
Ingredients: For the Meatballs – 500g Pork Mince, 1 medium onion, 3 heaped tbsp. of ground almonds, 1 egg, zest of one lemon, 1 heaped tbsp. grated parmesan cheese, 1 heaped tsp. dried oregano, salt and pepper, drizzle of oil.
For the Tomato Sauce – Handful of cherry tomatoes, 400ml of passata, 3 cloves of garlic, 1 tbsp. of olive oil, 2 tsp. of balsamic vinegar.
- Preheat your oven to 220f
- Finely dice your onion and add to all of the other ingredients and work well to combine all of the ingredients together
- Once combined, make into walnut sized balls and pop into a baking dish, drizzle with oil and cook for 30 – 40 minutes until browned
- While the meatballs are cooking start on your sauce:
- Finely chopped the garlic cloves and add to a pan with the olive oil
- Cook for a few minutes on a medium heat then add roughly chopped cherry tomatoes and the balsamic vinegar
- Cook for 5 – 10 minutes until the tomatoes start to break down, you can break them down a little with a wooden spoon
- Add the passata and cook on a low simmer for 20mins
- Serve the meatballs on gluten free pasta and your choice and veg and drizzle over the sauce
Friday night is a good excuse for a curry night right? Check out this delicious vegan recipe for some healthy inspiration.
Prep: 10 mins
Cook: 45 – 60 mins
Ingredients: 1 white or brown onion, 2 large aubergines or 4 baby aubergines, 1 cup of green lentils, 2 cups of coconut milk, 1 veggie stock cube, 1/2 tsp of cumin, 1/2 tsp of turmeric, 1 chopped red chilli and 1/2 tsp of dried ginger, 4 tbsp of oil, 1 tsp. of masala paste.
- Preheat the oven to 200F
- Chop your onion and garlic and fry in a pan with 1 tbsp of oil for a few minutes until softened
- Add all of your dried spices and chilli and coat the onions and garlic well
- Add the lentils with 2 cups of coconut milk and 3 cups of veggie stock and give it a good stir
- Bring to the boil and then turn down to a simmer until the lentils are soft, you may need to add some more liquid and give it the occasional stir
- While the lentils are cooking, mix the masala paste with 3 tbsp. of oil
- Cut the aubergines in half lengthways, criss cross the flesh and place on a baking tray flesh side up
- Brush the masala oil all over the flesh and pop in the oven for 30 – 45 mins until soft
- Once the aubergines and lentils are cooked serve up on a fluffy bed of basmati rice, lentils first then the aubergines on top
Tip: I used the same cup to measure the lentils and liquids to make sure I get the right measurements.