Celebrate Chinese New Year with a comforting, nourishing bowl of chicken, broth, veggies and rice, all gently spiced in authentic Chinese flavours.
Serves: 4 – 6 maybe with some leftovers too!
Ingredients: 1 whole chicken, 2 cinnamon sticks, 4 cloves, 2 star anise, 2 garlic cloves, 1 tsp. fennel seeds, 1 tsp. peppercorns (green/black or szechuan pepper if you can get it), 1 large carrot or two smaller ones, cut into chunky batons, 2 celery sticks cut into batons and 1/2 tsp. of sea salt.
- Pop all your ingredients into a large lidded pan (big enough to fit a whole chicken!), pop the chicken on top, breast side up
- Top up with water, until you the covering the chicken
- Bring to a rolling boil and then simmer with the lid on for 1 hour
- Turn the chicken over and cook for a further 20mins
- Remove the chicken and vegetables from the pan and cook on a high heat for 10minutes to reduce the stock down and intensify the flavour
- Cook your rice or noodles if serving with the chicken
- Carve your chicken and serve on a bowl or rice or noodles with the veg and pour the stock over
- Can season with sesame oil and soy sauce if you wish