Trying to save the pennies with December looming? Want something healthy and satisfying that won’t break the bank then try this, Inspired by Ethiopia – Berber Style Peas and Broad Beans on Toast with Feta*, made with store cupboard ingredients and bags from the freezer.
*Can omit or replace the feta with vegan cheese.
Serves: 2 – 4
Cook: 15 -25mins
Ingredients: 4 slices of bread of your choice for serving (but would recommend something like sour dough), 2 cups of frozen broad beans, 2 cups of frozen peas, 100g feta cheese, 2 tbsp. of olive oil, 1-2 birds eye/piri piri chillies (depending on how hot you like it), 2 cloves of garlic, 1 tsp. mustard seeds, 1 tsp. dried ginger, 1/2 tsp. dried cumin, 1/2 tsp. coriander seeds, 1 tsp. dried paprika, good mil of salt and pepper, some fresh basil to serve.
- In a pestle and mortar blend and breakdown your spices with the garlic and add to a lidded pan with 1 tbsp. of olive oil
- Cook on a medium heat for around 5 mins until you hear the spices start to pop
- Add your broad beans and peas with an extra tbsp. of olive oil and give a good stir so that the beans and peas are coated in the spices
- Turn down to a low heat, pop the lid on and cook for 15-20mins until the beans are warmed through, stirring occasionaly
- Toast your bread and pop the spiced beans and peas on top, add some crumbled feta and a few fresh basil leaves
Sadly, Ethiopia is experiencing its worst drought for 50 years, destroying crops and leaving many hungry and in urgent need of food. Thousands of lives are at risk, Save The Children are on the ground in Ethiopia delivering urgently needed supplies and medical help, but more help is needed, to find out more please visit:
Remember all recipes are created for you not only to enjoy, but to also raise awareness of the struggles these countries face on a daily basis, so if you would like to make a donation to Save The Children who are working everyday to support children around the World, please visit my just giving page by clicking the link Just Giving for more information.