Want to make some treats over the weekend but can’t leave the house as you’re on Lockdown and keeping those supermarket trips to a minimum? Then I have some ideas for the long weekend to keep you going.
What about Nan’s Jam Tart for starters? I used to love making this with my own Nan as a child and still make it with my daughter.
Who knew homemade pastry was so easy!
Nan’s Jam Tart
Prep: 10 mins
Cook: 30mins chill time/20 mins in the oven
Ingredients: 100g salted or unsalted butter, 200g self raising flour, 1 egg,
For the filling: jar of jam (your choice but I used one from the St. Dalfour range, as it has less sugar).
- Mix the butter and flour into a breadcrumb like consistency, then add one egg to combine the mixture, make into a ball and leave in the fridge for 30mins
- Pre-heat your oven to 180F
- Roll out your pastry to the thickness of a pound coin
- Grease a cake tin ( I used one with W20cm), place the pastry on top, gently pushing down, cutting off any excess which you can use for decoration,
- Make a few fork marks across the base and now spread your jam all over
- Bake in the oven for 20mins…
- Eat hot or cold, served with custard, ice cream or just a nice cuppa!
Cookies are always good right? Try these easy recipes below and adapt additional ingredients to suit what you have in, don’t have dried apple then use other dried fruits such as raisins and dates, don’t have peanuts then use some other nuts instead as long as the quantities are right all will be well.
For recipes go to:
Easy Oaty, (with a little bit of dark chocolate), and Dried Apple Cookies
Inspired by Nigeria: Peanut Butter, Coconut and Banana Chip Crumbly Cookies
Back to School Lunch Box/After School Treat Ideas
And not forgetting the more recent Lockdown Larder Chocolate Flapjacks – just click the link The Lockdown Larder – Chocolate Flapjacks
Got some packets of jelly in the cupboard and some frozen berries in the freezer? Then make up a batch of fruit jelly for your inner child, just make up the jelly as per packet instructions and drop about a cup of frozen fruit in before popping in the fridge to set yummy!
Finally, want to do some savoury baking instead and finding it hard to get fresh bread, then my Chorizo Loaf could be the recipe for you: Inspired by Portugal – Chorizo Loaf
I hope some of these recipes help make Easter a little sweeter this weekend, please get in touch if you have any other suggestions or have had a go at making some of these recipes.
Stay Safe, Stay Home