I was lucky enough recently to attend a vegan Korean cooking course with the amazing chef Da-Hae West, (check her out here https://dahaewest.com), which gave me a lot of inspiration as well as making my own Kimchi! One of the things I got to make was a vegan pancake, which is super easy, super delicious and can be adapted to suit your tastes, adding things like prawns, chicken, more chillies, no chillies it’s up to you!
I have made my own version here using lots of asparagus and ginger accompanied by two dips that I think work really well, one vegan and one full on mayo! If you have a go at making this version, or your own, get in touch as I would love to hear about your creations!
Serves: 2 as a main, 4 – 6 as a starter
Cook: 6 – 8 mins for each pancake
Ingredients: For the pancakes: 20 asparagus spears, 250g self raising flour, 375ml ice cold sparkling water, 1 teaspoon of salt, 1 chilli thinly sliced, (more if you like the heat), 1 clove or garlic minced of thinly sliced, 1 thumb sized piece of ginger minced or thinly sliced, 4 tbsp. of oil for frying
For the Sesame Dipping Sauce: 2 tbsp. rice wine vinegar, 1 tbsp. sesame oil, 1 thinly sliced piece of ginger, 1 tsp. sesame seeds, 1/2 tsp. brown sugar
For the Chilli Mayo: 1 tbsp. rice wine vinegar, 1tbsp. mayo, 1 red chilli thinly sliced with seeds if you like the heat.
- First remove the woody ends from your asparagus
- Then add to boiling water and boil vigorously for 2 mins
- Drain and plunge into cold water and set aside while you make your dips and batter
- To make the Chilli Mayo, add the sliced chilli to the rice wine vinegar and set aside until ready to serve
- For the Sesame Dipping sauce, mix all of the ingredients together and set aside until ready to use
- Mix all of the ingredients together for the pancake except the asparagus so that it’s combined well but no need to over mix
- Heat 1 tbsp. of oil in a pan now add half of your pancake batter and pop 10 of the asparagus spears on top of the mixture so that they melt down into the mixture
- Cook for 3 – 4 minutes on one side until you start to see air pockets form on the top
- Now turn your pancake over (you can flip if you are brave, or use a spatula like me!), add some more oil if you notice that the pan is dry and continue to cook on the other side for 3 – 4 minutes, longer if necessary, you want it to be crispy but not burnt
- Repeat the same for the second pancake with the remaining mixture and asparagus
- Once both of your pancakes are ready, add the finishing touch to your Chilli Mayo by adding 1 tbsp. of mayo and mixing well
Remember all recipes are created for you not only to enjoy, but to also raise awareness of the struggles these countries face on a daily basis, so if you would like to make a donation to Save The Children
Who are working everyday to support children around the World, please visit my just giving page by clicking the link Just Giving for more information.