Friday night is a good excuse for a curry night right? Check out this delicious vegan recipe for some healthy inspiration.
Prep: 10 mins
Cook: 45 – 60 mins
Ingredients: 1 white or brown onion, 2 large aubergines or 4 baby aubergines, 1 cup of green lentils, 2 cups of coconut milk, 1 veggie stock cube, 1/2 tsp of cumin, 1/2 tsp of turmeric, 1 chopped red chilli and 1/2 tsp of dried ginger, 4 tbsp of oil, 1 tsp. of masala paste.
- Preheat the oven to 200F
- Chop your onion and garlic and fry in a pan with 1 tbsp of oil for a few minutes until softened
- Add all of your dried spices and chilli and coat the onions and garlic well
- Add the lentils with 2 cups of coconut milk and 3 cups of veggie stock and give it a good stir
- Bring to the boil and then turn down to a simmer until the lentils are soft, you may need to add some more liquid and give it the occasional stir
- While the lentils are cooking, mix the masala paste with 3 tbsp. of oil
- Cut the aubergines in half lengthways, criss cross the flesh and place on a baking tray flesh side up
- Brush the masala oil all over the flesh and pop in the oven for 30 – 45 mins until soft
- Once the aubergines and lentils are cooked serve up on a fluffy bed of basmati rice, lentils first then the aubergines on top
Tip: I used the same cup to measure the lentils and liquids to make sure I get the right measurements.
Looking for a filling but healthy meat free lunch? Then try my super easy, super delicious vegan rice bowl, if you omit the chilli even kids will love it!
Prep: 10 mins
Cook: 30 mins
Ingredients: 1 cup of dried brown rice, 1 large avocado, 1 small can of sweetcorn, small bunch of spring onions, 2 tsp. brown miso paste, 1 tbsp. of sesame seeds (black, brown or white is fine), 1 tbsp. soy sauce, sprinkling of chilli flakes.
- Pop the brown rice in a saucepan and add the miso paste, cook as per packet instructions
- Once cooked, allow the rice to cool (this can be cooked the day before, or even in the morning if you have time)
- Drain the sweetcorn and mix in with the rice along with the spring onions
- Chop the avocado into slices and arrange on top
- Sprinkle over the sesame seeds and chilli flakes and a little drizzle of the soy sauce
Looking for a healthy vegan BBQ side this weekend? Then try this…
Cook: 15 – 20
Ingredients: 4 small of 2 large aubergines cut into thin slices, 4 small or 2 large courgettes cut into thin slices, a jar of red peppers cut into thin strips, large handful of mixed herbs, (basil, mint and parsley all work well), 1 tbsp. of tahini, juice of 1/2 lemon 4 tbsp. of olive oil, 1 tbsp. of pine nuts, 1 tsp. of paprika and a little more olive oil for grilling the aubergine and courgette.
- Brush the aubergine and courgettes with a little oil and grill on each side for around 6 – 8 minutes until they start to brown but not burn
- Allow to cool
- To make the dressing mix the tahini, oil and lemon juice together
- Brown the pine nuts in a pan to bring out their flavour
- Now construct your salad by placing layers of the aubergine, courgette and red peppers on a large plate, pour your dressing over the top and scatter the pine nuts and herbs over the salad and sprinkle over the paprika