Try something different with lamb this Spring…you won’t regret it!
Cook: 3 hours plus marinading time
Ingredients: For the Lamb; 2kg leg of lamb, 1 tsp of turmeric, 1 tsp cumin seeds, 1 tsp, salt, 2 garlic cloves, 1 tsp cinnamon, 1 carrot, 125g natural or greek yogurt, 200ml water
For the Carrot Yogurt Sauce: 250g greek or natural yogurt
For the Rice: Rice 1 large cup of dried basmati rice, 1 tsp. turmeric, 1 cinnamon stick, 2 carrots, 2 tbsps. sultanas, 1 – 2 tbsp. toasted almonds, 1 tbsp. olive oil, pinch of salt
- Make your marinade for the lamb, place the peeled garlic cloves in a pestle and mortar and add the turmeric, cumin seeds, cinnamon and salt and mix to a paste
- Add the paste to the yogurt, mix well and cover the lamb in the mixture and set aside in the fridge for at least 2 hours or overnight
- Preheat your oven to 150F
- Peel and slice the carrot and place under the lamb leg
- Add 200ml of water, cover with foil and cook in the oven for 3 hours
- For the last 15min of cooking time take the foil off and then place back in the oven
- Roughly 30mins before you want to serve the lamb make the rice
- Cook 1 large cup of rice to two parts water, add to this 1 tsp. of turmeric and 1 cinnamon stick, (you can follow packet instructions or what I normally do is bring the rice to the boil and then simmer lid on for 10mins until all the water is absorbed)
- Once cooked, leave the rice to cool slightly while you peel and grate two carrots, and toast the almonds
- Add 1 tbsp. of olive oil to a pan and lightly cook the carrots and sultanas for a few minutes
- Add to this the rice and a good pinch of salt and half of your toasted almonds, warm through and set aside until ready to serve
- Once your lamb is cooked, take the sliced carrot from the bottom of the baking tray and add to a saucepan on a medium heat with 250g of yogurt and 4 tbsps. of juices from the lamb
- Bring to the boil then turn the heat off and blitz all in a food processor
- Plate up your lamb, by placing the rice underneath, lamb on top, with some more of the lamb juices if you wish and scatter over those almonds!
- Serve the spiced carrot yogurt on the side
- Enjoy on first sitting and on second sitting using up all those delicious spicy lamb leftovers!
In Afghanistan, Save The Children are working to support the rights of Children, especially girls, who have previously gone without basic education. Young girls are also at risk of exploitation, marriage at a young age and abuse. Boys are also often recruited to armed groups to support their families. In spite of the dangers, Save The Children are there on the ground working to improve health and education, working with communities and religious leaders to effect change. To find out more take a look at the following link:
And if you’d like to make a donation via this blog, please visit my Just Giving Page, by clicking here Just Giving