Serves 2 – 4 as a starter, snack or part of a meze platter.
Roasted Courgette and Garlic Dip
Prep: 10 mins
Ingredients: 1 large courgette or two smaller ones, 2 cloves of garlic, 3 tbsps. of olive oil, 1 tbsp. of tahini paste, juice of half a lemon.
- Pre-heat oven to 220F
- Chop the courgette into chunks, peel and thinly slice your garlic cloves
- Place in an oven proof dish with 2 tbsps. of olive oil and mix well
- Pop in the oven for 30mins, turning after 15mins
- When cooked, places in a blender with the juice of half a lemon, 1 tbsp. of olive oil and 1 tbsp. of tahini
- Give it a quick blitz and serve warm straight away of leave to cool until ready to serve.
Carrot, Honey, Cumin and Pine Nut Dip
Ingredients: 2 large carrots, 2 tbsps. runny honey, 1 tbsp. of olive oil, 1 tsp. cumin powder, 1 tbsp. pine nuts.
- Peel and slice the carrots,
- Place in a lidded pan with 1 tsp. of cumin powder, 2 tbsps. of honey and 1 tbsp. of water
- Pop the lid on and cook on a low heat for 25mins
- After 25mins take the lid off and cook for a further 5 mins
- Place the carrots and any remaining cooking liquid in a blender with 1 tbsp. of olive oil and blend to a chunky consistency – you don’t want baby food!
- Lightly toast 1 tbsp. of pine nuts
- Mix half of the pine nuts into your carrot dip and reserve the other half for garnish
- Eat straight away or leave to cool as part of a meze platter – I ate mine with some warmed pitta bread – yummy!!
Friday marked the eighth year of the war in Syria, millions are now living as refugees, resorting to eating animal feed and leaves to survive. Thousands of children have been killed and many of those surviving are separated from their families and are living with severe injuries as a result of this brutal conflict. Save The Children are working tirelessly to help those still in Syria, to find out more, please visit the link: https://www.savethechildren.org.uk/where-we-work/middle-east/syria
If you would like to make a monetary donation please visit the link: https://justgiving.com/fundraising/Feastforfamine