This is a lovely colourful dish, full of flavour!
Serves 2 – 4 as a main course
Prep: 20 mins plus one hour chilling time
For the Piri Piri Turkey: 2 x turkey breast, 1 peeled clove of garlic, 1 tbsp. of olive oil, 1 heaped tsp of dried oregano, 1 tsp of paprika, 2 crushed dried chillies, 1 tsp white wine vinegar, pinch of salt
For the Black Beans: 1 large can of rinsed and drained black beans (drained weight 520g), 600ml of low sodium chicken stock cube, 1 clove of garlic, 1 cinnamon stick, 1 tsp of olive oil, 1 tsp of dried oregano.
For the Tomato and Orange Rice: 1 cup of dried rice to two parts water, juice of 1/2 orange, rind from the whole orange, 1 tsp. of tomato puree, salt and pepper, 1 tsp of butter.
For the Simple Salsa and Smashed Avocado: 8 cherry tomatoes, 2 tsp lemon juice, 1 tsp white wine vinegar, 1/2 tsp of dried oregano, 1 ripe avocado
- Start by marinating your turkey breast, cut the turkey into strips and leave to one side
- In a pestle and mortar add your garlic clove, dried oregano, paprika, red chillies, pinch of salt and mix to a paste, add your white wine vinegar and olive oil and mix well
- Cover your turkey breasts in the mixture and leave in the fridge for a minimum of one hour
- To make your beans, heat olive oil in a lidded pan and add to this your garlic and cook gently for a few minutes, now add your beans and stir well, add the chicken stock, cinnamon stick and oregano, bring to the boil and simmer with the lid on for 30mins, stirring half way through the cooking time and adding a little more water if needed to stop the beans from sticking
- While the beans are cooking make your salsa and start your rice
- To make the salsa, chop your cherry tomatoes and mix with the lemon juice, white wine vinegar, and dried oregano, and put to one side
- For your rice, in a lidded pan, add one cup of rice to two parts cold water, to this add the juice and rind of 1/2 an orange and 1 tsp. of tomato puree and a pinch of salt
- Bring to the boil and then place the lid on and simmer for 10mins until all the water is absorbed, after 10 minutes turn the heat off but keep the lid on until ready to serve ( at least five minutes)
- Now to cook your turkey, heat a frying pan and cook your turkey for 3 – 5 minutes on each side
- Smash your avocado with a tsp of lemon juice
- Before serving, to your rice, add the other half of grated orange rind, 1 tsp of butter and season with some black pepper and extra salt depending on your taste
- To serve, add your rice and black beans to your plate or bowl, add your turkey breast and top with your smashed avocado, salsa and a squeeze or orange…Enjoy!
Although Brazil is the ninth largest economy in the World, many children are subject to poor education, health and natural disasters such as droughts and heavy rain, causing mudslides and severe flooding. Save The Children have been working in Brazil since 1991 to provide emergency relief and are working to improve the education and health of those in most need. To find out more, please visit: https://www.savethechildren.org.uk/where-we-work/south-central-america/brazil
If you would like to make a monetary donation, please visit the link: http://justgiving.com/fundraising/feastforfamine