This dish is flavoursome yet gentle, and the marinade for the chicken makes a lovely sauce to use after cooking, perfect for when the weather starts to warm up.
Serves 4 – 6
Prep: 25 mins
Cook: 2 hours
For the Roast Chicken: 1 whole chicken, juice of a whole lemon, 2 tbsp. of yogurt (can be plain or Greek), 2 garlic cloves, 1 tbsp. of olive oil, 2 garlic cloves, 2 cinnamon sticks, 2 cardamom pods, 2 tsps. dried thyme, 1 tsp of cumin, 1/2 tsp of salt, generous mil of black pepper
For the Cauliflower Tabbouleh: 1/2 head of cauliflower or one small cauliflower, 1 cup of dried bulgur wheat, juice of one lemon, tsp. cumin, 1 garlic clove, 1 tsp cinnamon, 2 tbsps. of toasted sesame seeds, 1/4 cucumber chopped into small chunks, bunch of parsley, 2 tbsps. of olive oil, salt and pepper to taste.
- Make your tabbouleh ahead, even the day before, so that all you need to do is roast your chicken when is comes to a leisurely lunch or dinner!
- Start off with the bulgur wheat, add one part of rinsed well bulgur wheat (I used one cup), to 1.5 cups of boiling water and the juice of half a lemon to a lidded pan, put the lid on and leave for 20mins to absorb the liquid, after 20 mins drain off any excess liquid and set to one side
- Pre-heat your oven to 200 fan, mix the cumin, chopped garlic, cinnamon, salt and pepper with 2 tbsps. of olive oil, break your cauliflower into small florets and coat in this mixture
- Pop in the oven for 30mins
- Once the cauliflower is cooked, add to your bulgur wheat with the cucumber, parsley and the rest of the juice from the lemon, add another tbsp. of olive oil, salt and pepper and mix well
- Sprinkle with the toasted sesame seeds and leave in the fridge until you are ready to use it, up to 24 hours is fine.
- When you are ready to cook your chicken, pre-heat your oven to 200F/180C
- In a bowl mix together 2 tbsps. of yogurt, 1 tbsp. of olive oil 2 crushed garlic cloves, juice of a whole lemon, 1 tsp of cumin, 2 cardamom pods (crushed), 2 tsps. dried thyme, 1/2 tsp of salt and a generous mil of black pepper
- Make some slits in the chicken thighs and legs and make some space between the breast and the skin
- Cover your chicken with the mixture, pushing some underneath the skin on the chicken
- In the cavity, place the two cinnamon sticks and the left over lemon from juicing
- Pop in the oven and cook for 25 minutes per 500g, plus an extra 25 minutes
- Allow your chicken to rest and then slice and serve with your cauliflower tabbouleh, pouring the juices from the chicken over the top…Enjoy!
Save The Children, have been working in the Lebanon since 1953, as well as providing aid to many refugees, they have been working to provide shelter by renovating buildings so that they are safe to occupy, they have also been working to implement safe water systems. With the increase of Syrian refugees, they have been working to bring Lebanese and Syrian people together on community projects. To find out more please visit:
If you would like to make a monetary donation, please visit the link: http://justgiving.com/fundraising/feastforfamine